Monday, June 17, 2013

Getting to Know Your Chickens III: White Rock

Greetings chicken lovers! I hope you are all well. This post will feature the last breed of hen in our backyard flock, the White Rock. When I told Sunshine it was her turn to be featured on the blog and that I needed to take some solo pictures of her she got a little bit camera shy all of a sudden. 

 Me: Sunshine I want to get a picture of you. Please get over here. 
Sunshine: Whaaat? La la la I can't hear you. I have feathers in my ears. 

 Me: Sunshine, get over here! I don't have all day. I need to blog! 
Sunshine: Doo doo doo, I'm just hanging out back here with my peeps. Don't hear anything. 
Me: SUNSHINE! GET OVER HERE THIS INSTANT OR NO MORE CATERPILLARS!
Sunshine: Oh! Hey Ma! Didn't see you over there. 


She even smiled for me in this one....a chicken smile is a subtle thing, but it exists. It does!! So the White Rock is actually just a variety of the Plymouth Rock breed. This breed originated in the United States and there are eight different colors within the breed. They are a long lived, winter hearty breed, and they are good layers. They lay eggs that range from medium brown to light brown with a touch of pink. 


This is what they look like as babies. Gah! So cute! I want to put them in the pockets of my long comfy old lady like cardigan sweater (if I had one) and I'd just pull them out randomly and snuggle them against my bifocals. Their temperament is very gentle and easygoing, and they are quite graceful. Very beautiful downy white birds. Sunshine sticks out like a sore thumb in our flock of otherwise red and black hens. 



Oh, Sunshine, we adore you so. Don't ever change. Except enough that you are old enough to lay us some delicious eggs. Then you should definitely never change after that. 

Here is a link to more info on the White (Plymouth) Rock breed. Enjoy! 


Thanks for reading! And please feel free to leave comments. I've never had a comment before. I'd be thrilled to get a comment. COMMENTS! WEE! Ok I'm done now. 









3 comments:

  1. So proud to be the very first person to post a comment on my favorite blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for the chicken lady when I came across this site :)

    ReplyDelete